Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The straw that broke the camels back

So i bought a nokia e71 in 2008.  On paper it was ideal.  Faster, smaller with more features.  Camera with a flash, FM radio, no more pop port.  Greater than 2gb memory card support.

I found the first problem when i added 300 notes from my old e61i to the e71 notes app.  The global search when started would load all the data it was able to search into memory to speed up the search.  This is ok if there is only a few notes.  When you have 300 or so this took nearly a minute before you could actually make a search.  The old version would start and be instantly be ready to make a search.  There was no way to replace the crap version of the software with the old working version.  It's a smart phone with loads of memory.  Somebody at nokia must have tested the device with lots of data.  Did they not realise that prefetching the data was bad?  It was a disaster on Windows Vista, why would it be better on a mobile os?   Why no option to disable that feature?  Strike 1

I used to leave the search application open to avoid the startup wait.  However if I ejected the card to transfer data which I did a few times a week it would shut down all the apps meaning that the damned search startup was waiting for me the next time I made a search.  It also meant that when I started the music player application it would realise the card had been ejected and automatically search the card in case I had added new music.  There was no way to stop this 3 minute delay.  Strike 2

I hate noise.  If you had me and a ninja living next door to you the ninja would be the noisy neighbour.  I can sneak up on cats.  I hate mandatory camera clicks.  It is a stupid requirement in some countries.  It is a bad law as it makes a low vga quality camera on a camera phone make a click when a high end camera phone shooting 720 high definition video can be silent.  It is security theatre at it's worst.  In Ireland thankfully it is not a requirement.  So when i bought my nokia e71 I had checked in advance to see that I could make it silent.  And it was.  A faint beep when it autofocused.  Annoying but tolerable.  Then in Feb 2009 I updated 3 nokias at the same time.  An e71, an e61i and old n70.  All had been silent and I had carefully read the update notes.  Afterwards they had all gained that stupid camera click noise with no easy way to eliminate it.  €1000 of phones destroyed by nokia.  Strike 3 and I'll never buy nokia again.

My iphone can be silent.  My htc hero could be silent.  My sony xperia x10 mini can be silent.  Why the hell did nokia do this without warning?

Moreover I don't recommend nokia anymore.  I reckon I easily convinced about a dozen people a year to buy nokia.  Not any more.  I provided free tech support to friends and family and now almost none of them have nokia whereas it used to be almost all had nokia.

Dumb move nokia!

No comments:

Post a Comment